Ich - Me - Moi !

Ich - Me - Moi !

vendredi 24 décembre 2010

Christmas at Franz Joseph Glacier

The glacier can be seen from the town, if it is not hiding behind the clouds.

On Christmas eve, we went for a walk in the forest at night. The information was, that you could see glow worms at night on this path. And glow worms we did see ! I just can't get them with my little camera and my little photographic skills, so you just get a picture of the path...

Coming back to the hostel, I found my dorm filled with candle light. Mili and Fabian were having a little private Christmas party and I got invited. This was my first Christmas with cherries on the menu ! And I got my only Christmas present this year: a little bag of salt ! Always handy, when you travel !

Fabian making English breakfast for his girl friend Mili. As I was there, I got a treat too. Thank you !!

On chistmas day, I wanted to do something, but most of the activities were not open. So I arranged with a local kayak guide to get out on a lake: Lake Mapourica (or something similar..). With a newlywed Indian couple, we went on the other side of the lake and into a small river. The water was still and reflections were great... just the sun was missing.
... on the little river...

...more impressions...

...upside down??
The next day, I went on the Franz Joseph Glacier. Of course with a tour, you are not allowed without and I don't have the gear anyway.
Just the proof that I have been on the glacier !

The rain from the days before Christmas has washed the glacier clean... can you see it ??

And this is where the glacier ha been a hundred years ago: all this was full of ice then !

You remember the blue penguins from the Catlins? On the glacier, I found a different species...

Ice hole

Walking through this was always with the same foot in front...

...more penguins...

Scale is getting lost: this was only about 40cm wide...
jfff

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire